Hello!! Happy Wednesday!!
They say the first step is to admit you have a problems…well…I have a sweet potato obsession. This obsession, however, is not a problem!! I’m sure you know that sweet potatoes are a better choice than the beloved white potato, (Yes I love the good old fashion Idaho potato too), but do you know exactly why. Let me tell you. These orange-fleshed potatoes are known to be a great source of beta-carotene. However, they also deliver good sources of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin C, and are full of manganese, calcium, potassium, iron, vitamin B6 and fiber! Where as white potatoes do have the vitamin C but don’t compare in the other areas. Quick note, both potatoes have similar amounts of calories and carbs. I’m more concerned with eating foods packed with great nutrients than with counting calories, eat as much good food as you want don’t confine your self to small amounts of bad foods. Another note…a sweet potato may be healthier for you than a white potato but neither are good for you if fried and eaten with a big greasy burger and a warm slice of apple pie.
So now that we know that sweet potatoes have more nutrients to offer, and that assuming we cook them and don’t deep fry them they are a healthier choice lets talk about this fabulous recipe I can’t get enough of!
Its one of those side dish/main dish kind of things, and I’m in love!
Ingredients (For one person hehe)
1 Sweet Potato
1 Bell Pepper (whatever color you want…I like to do red or yellow or green to have a a brightly colored meal)
2 Strips of Bacon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Cook up some bacon! Set aside to cool.
2) Peel your sweet potato, then cut up your sweet potato into small pieces. (The smaller the pieces the faster it will cook)
3) Cook your diced sweet potato. You can do this in the bacon grease or coconut oil or olive oil, which ever you like.
4) Dice your bell pepper and toss this in with the sweet potatoes once they are almost done.
5) Crumble your bacon and toss this back into the pan. Salt and pepper to taste.
6) At this point you are either done…or you can cook and egg and put it on top and call it a meal!
This is another hit with the whole family, Ranger steals all of mine when I eat it.
I hope you love this! Ranger is up from his nap and its time for us to do some taste testing of the sweet potato muffins I made while he napped…grain free of course! Recipe will be up here soon…unless they are awful!!