Oh my goodness! Hurry someone slap the spoon out of my hand!
Have you ever tasted something, and you were just wowed. You thought my taste buds have seen the light and where has this been all my life? Well, let me tell you this lemon curd is one of those things. Its sweet and slightly tangy with that smooth texture and the occasional bit of zest.
The first time I made it was years ago for my Mamas birthday cake. What I made was a simple white cake, with lemon curd and fresh blue berrys, topped with vanilla buttercream. It was amazing over all; but the lemon curd stood out above the rest. This lemon curd is ridiculously delicious. After the first taste of this stuff I have used it many times in many different dessert.
Today I am making it for my mother in law. She asked me to whip up a batch to top a cheesecake she is baking for my brother in laws birthday. Since I was making it anyway, and its insanely tasty, I thought I’d share it with you!
Smooth, creamy, sweet, and tangy lemon curd! Great for cake fillings, toppings, fruit tarts, and eating by the spoonful...try not to eat it all though.
This also makes a great homemade gift. Put the curd in a mason jar with a nice ribbon and a tag that says to keep refrigerated.
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Whole Egg
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 4 T Butter, cut into cubes
- In a small sauce pan whisk together egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest for about 1 minute.
- Place pan over medium high heat and whisk continually for 8 to 10 minutes. Curd will become thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter cubes one at a time.
- Store in a glass container with plastic wrap covering surface. Let cool for at least 1 hour.
I hope you enjoy this sweet treat, and have a blessed week!