Yesterday was my son Ranger’s fourth birthday. That is so hard for me to fathom, and yet it isn’t. On the one hand it feels like I’ve blinked and he went from an infant in my arms to a big strong, smart, silly, caring, joy filled little boy. I am beyond blessed to call him my baby boy. He made me a Mama and he will always be my sweet little boy, no matter how big he gets.
Ranger requested corn dog’s for his birthday dinner, but after we talked about it a few times we switched to pretzel wrapped hot dogs, since he never eats the corn bread part of the corn dog.
If you have never made pretzels before, let me tell you, they are very simple to make. So why not wrapped a hot dog in them! 🙂
Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dog's
Good old fashioned soft pretzels wrapped around a tasty hot dog for a four year old's birthday treat!
I made a double batch thinking I would need more dough to wrap the dogs. In the end it took less dough than I anticipated, so I had extra for regular pretzels.
- 16 Hot Dogs
- 1.5 C Warm Water
- 1 T Sugar
- 2 t Salt
- 2.25 t Active Dry Yeast (One Packet)
- 4.5 C Flour
- 1/4 C Melted Butter
Baking Soda Bath
- 10 C Water
- 2/3 C Baking Soda
- Melted Butter
- Kosher Salt or Pretzel Salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine water, sugar, and yeast for 4 to 5 minutes, until frothy.
- If you haven’t put your apron on yet, I’d suggest doing that now. 🙂
- Add flour, salt, and melted butter to bowl and mix with dough hook until smooth and pulling away from sides. (I ended up kneading by hand since I doubled the batch!!)
- Move the dough to a greased bowl cover lightly and place in a warm place to rise. (I warmed my oven on the lowest setting, then turned it off and put the dough inside.)
- While the dough is rising, browse the internet, or fold some laundry, sweep the floor, whatever you like.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Boil water and baking soda.
- While the water is coming to a boil, divide dough into 16 equal parts. Roll the divided dough into long ropes, twice the length of the hot dog and wrap each hot dog.
- Dunk each wrapped hot dog into the water and baking soda mixture for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with salt as soon as you remove the dogs from the water.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter, and serve immediately with melted cheeses sauce or mustard! Or ketchup for your four year old.
- Enjoy the dogs, and most of all enjoy your precious babies.
We enjoyed this with my son’s Dandee and Pop (my husbands mom and step dad). We served it with chips, and then had chocolate fondue for dessert. All of this was his choice.
May the good Lord bless you and yours today and everyday!